Architectural Improvement Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I need architectural approval?

If there are plans for any building, structure or improvements to be constructed, erected or placed on any Lot or any exterior additions, changes or alterations be made to such Lot architectural approval will be required. Submit an ACC application here

Can my contractor submit an application on my behalf?

Yes, a contractor can submit an application on behalf of a homeowner by emailing a complete ACC application form (signed by the homeowner) and all supporting documents to Please be aware all future correspondence from the committee must go directly to the owner instead of the contractor. Therefore, the owner is still the only party receiving approval, denial, or requests for more information.

Do I have to get approval for planting vegetation- landscaping?

Landscaping is not considered an improvement as defined in the CC&R's, and prior review and approval of landscape plans is not necessary, but all landscaping must comply with the Landscape Design Manual. Any plant not listed in the Landscape Design Manual is required to be submitted for approval, and no invasive species are permitted. Plants such as palm trees and magnolia trees tend to have dead leaves, and therefore are prohibited because of the aesthetics.

Do I have to get approval for xeriscaping?

Xeriscape or the use of rocks, gravel, artificial turf and/or plants requiring little to no irrigation is considered to be a part of landscaping. Landscaping is not considered an improvement as defined in the CC&R's, and prior review and approval of landscape plans is not necessary, but all landscaping must comply with the Landscape Design Manual.

Do I have to get approval for Hardscape additions?

All hardscape additions (installation of planter bed borders, tree rings, rock pavers, etc.) consisting of stone/masonry/wood/metal materials will require ACC approval. Ensure an ACC application is submitted along with supporting documents that consist of the following:
-Survey of the property with the proposed improvement illustrated on the survey to scale
-Photos of the area(s) where the improvements will be located
-Sample photos of the materials to be used

I have a City of Leander permit, do I need ACC approval?

Yes, the city is a totally separate entity from the HOA and has their own set of guidelines. In most cases, the governing documents of the community are more rigid than the city ordinances. For instance, the city permits garage sales and has different setback requirements for structures than the HOA.

Can my application be expedited or rushed?

The committee fairly reviews each submission in the order that they are received. The committee does not accept rush or expedited applications. To ensure every application is reviewed as fairly as possible, the ACC practices a "First in, First Out" review process, regardless of the type of application submitted. The best way to ensure that your project approval is smooth is to submit all the required documents with the initial application and to plan ahead so that you allow for the 30 days the committee has to review projects. If the committee has to request more information, the project will be delayed. 

How do I contact the Architectural Control Committee?

Once you have submitted a project, you will receive a letter via email from the automated system that confirms receipt by the committee. You can contact the ACC by using the link at the bottom of the letter. Once the review is complete, you will receive an email with the resulting approval/denial letter from the automated system. If you have general questions about ACC applications and procedures, please email

What do I need to know for a pool application?

Water's edge must be at least 10 feet from the property line. Decking edge must be at least 5 feet from the property line.
Please include a survey / plat map with detailed dimensions to property lines.
All pool equipment must be properly screened both from the roadway and neighboring lots with mature native Texas Hill Country plants or masonry wall.

All exposed slab must be finished in masonry to match the home. Pool must be fenced According to city and state regulations.
Any disturbed areas must be remediated upon completion of project. Before starting any construction, the ACC strongly suggest that you reach out to neighbor(s) to let them know they might undergo a week (or two) of jack-hammering, and experience the sounds of heavy machinery. Additionally, you may need to coordinate lot access when dealing with tighter lot spacing.

What do I need to know for a play structure application?

To help ensure privacy and safe recreation, the playscape should not be positioned closer than 10' to any fence, structure or property line. Play structures should be located to the rear of the residence, and not readily visible from the street (specific community CCRs apply). 

The playscape and surrounding play area must be properly maintained, structurally and aesthetically - If located on a lot with scenic views, please be courteous of your neighbor's view when positioning.

What do I need to know for a solar panel/device application?

Additional panels can be installed on non front-facing roof elevations to maximize energy savings.
The panels must be low profile black panels.

Front (street) facing panels tend to detract from the look of the home (your neighbors will not appreciate). Any variances for panels (to be placed on the home’s front elevation) will need to be supported by energy gain percentages by placing on the front.

What do I need to know for a shed or outbuilding application?

No prefabricated storage, "out" buildings, or sheds are allowed in the subdivision.

The spirit of the CCRs is that detached structures (large and small) should be "mini-me" versions of the existing home.
All such buildings must be built on-site, on a slab, behind the main structure, be architecturally similar in appearance and of the same construction, masonry requirements, materials, color scheme, and similar design to the main structure and garage on that Lot. Children's playhouses may not be used as storage facilities.

Greenhouses will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration such factors as visibility from the roadway and the reflection factor on neighboring lots.

What do I need to know for a deck or patio extension application?

The addition must utilize complimentary colors to the masonry / stucco and any existing woodwork.

Setback lines must be observed. A good rule of thumb is that the deck can be no closer to the property line than the home.

Xeriscaping under deck must be maintained / kept free of weeds - No storage under the deck unless there is additional screening (e.g. stone wall, hedge, other approved material)

What do I need to know for a pergola or gazebo application?

The Pergola must be positioned on the property as to comply with any setback lines.

Property owners with views should be sensitive to obstructing neighboring property views.

Wood should be stained to match/complement the home and be maintained in good condition. Masonry and/or stonework should compliment the home.

What do I need to know for a flag/flagpole application?

The CFHOA follows existing regulations for flying flags.
No more than one flag at a time may be displayed on a flag mount. No mark, sign, insignia, design, or advertising of any kind may be added to a flag. If both the U.S. and Texas flags are displayed on a flagpole, they must be of approximately equal size. If the U.S. and Texas flags are flown on one pole, the U.S. flag must be the highest flag flown and the Texas flag the second highest.

Flags must be no larger than 3'x5' in size. Flags may not contain commercial or political materials, advertising, or any symbol or language that may be offensive to the ordinary person. The flagpole must be no greater than 20 feet in height measured from grade
The following flags may be displayed (on an approved flag pole or flag mount) without prior permission from the Association's governing ACC, provided they are displayed in accordance with these rules:
  • The flag of the United States of America
  • The flag of the State of Texas
  • An official or replica flag of any branch of the United States armed forces
  • Any U.S. official college or university flag
  • Any U.S. official sports team flag
  • All other flags must receive prior approval from the Association's governing ACC, which may be approved or withheld in the ACC 's discretion.

What Do I need to know for Exterior Paint Applications?

Exterior paint applications require ACC approval when the exterior of the home is changing colors (change in color ranges from slight shade differences to completely different colors). Using the same color code as the existing color on the home is considered maintenance and does not require ACC approval. Required supporting documentation includes existing photos of the home, proposed colors and color codes, and indicate where each color will be applied on the home.
The ColorSnap Visualizer on Sherwin Williams' website is a perfect tool to utilize when gathering supporting documentation for exterior paint applications as it can show all the required information needed - ColorSnap Visualizer has the ability for the user to upload an existing photo of the home and create an updated version of the home using the proposed colors (color codes included) in the areas they are intended to be used. Click here to be directed to the ColorSnap Visualizer. 

What color can I stain my fence?

You will need to seek ACC approval for any fence stain; however, any color in this range of colors will be approved by the ACC.